Monday, May 17, 2010

Gutted

I have no right to claim any measure of pain that is currently afflicting Charlton supporters. But damned if following the match didn't kill me. Up 2-0 and 3-2 on aggregate, I was certain that it was only a matter of time until Swindon notched a goal. But I fell into believing the impossible when Greer got his red, even though the warning signs were there for anyone to see (why are you playing so deep?). Danny Ward's goal may ultimately have a huge impact on the club, but for today it was simply a cruel capstone to a painful season.

There are not going to be many supporters of other League 1 sides that are going to be showing much sympathy for Nicky Bailey tonight, but it does not impact my respect for his commitment to the shirt and club in the slightest. I would like to believe that Charlton's players are hurting as much as their supporters and as pollyanish as it might be, I think that is probably right.

I was not able to get a lick of work done until five hours after the game concluded. I kept thinking about how devastating the loss was and how it was stinging thousands of people I don't know. I love this club.

No comments:

Post a Comment