Saturday, February 19, 2011

Back in the Fold

My disappointment with D.C. United over the release of Julius James lasted all of 24 hours.

Fred's back.

My general impression is that United supporters are split over his value to the team. My daughter, on the other hand, is unequivocal. She loves Fred. Although she has met him only a couple of times, Fred made a huge impression by taking the time to interact with her and show interest in a small child.

I harbor no illusions about why Fred is back, as Kasper's quote within the release seems to say it all:
"Fred was very motivated to return to DC, and we look forward to his contributions."
I had written Fred a few weeks back asking him if there was any possibility that he would be returning to the team and his response gave me some hope that there was a chance that something was in the works.

Whatever road he traveled, Fred is back.

Setting to one side my daughter's adoration, I have always enjoyed watching Fred play. He has never given fans any reason to question his commitment to the team and to this community. So welcome back. We missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment